The Art of Self-Defense (2019)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 14 items
|MPAA||Rated R for violence, sexual content, graphic nudity and language|
Sex & Nudity
- A man views a men's magazine and stumbles across pages with bare breasts. He later steals a copy and masturbates to it at home. The scene doesn't linger too much.
- Some men prepare for a cool-down stretch by massaging one another. They remove their gi, and some remove their entire clothing. Brief male full frontal nudity.
Violence & Gore
- A man snaps another man's arm. No visible mutilation, but blood drips down from his gi sleeve. A startling scene.
- A motorcycle gang brutally mugs the protagonist. They each take turns in kicking him before one of the assailants stomps on his face. He survives. Distressing, but not graphic.
- A woman repeatedly punches a man in the face. Visible bloodletting, though the man is unconscious.
- Though the film is a satire on hypermasculinity, there are numerous characters who casually make sexist and misogynistic remarks. Not so much vulgar, but certainly off putting.
- 6 F-Bombs throughout the whole movie
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Characters occasionally drink.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The film overall is a dark comedy, getting darker as the plot progresses, with numerous tonal shifts.
- Scenes involving close combat may be uncomfortable to some viewers, as characters pull no punches when it comes to fighting, pun-intended.
Violence & Gore
- A man punches another man in the face, hard enough for the other man to fall on his head, and for a pool of blood to form around the concrete. He groans in pain. The fact that the victim ends up being innocent may distress viewers.
- A man shoots another man point blank in the head. Although played for laughs, it is possibly the most disturbing sequence in the film.
- A man orders his German Shepherd to attack another man. We don't see the act itself, but the dog bites the man's throat. The aftermath, where the man lays motionless on the floor with a chunk of his neck missing, may distress certain viewers. The man's cries and gurgling is heard.
- A man finds his dog dead on the floor. The viewer never sees a close-up. Later, the man finds out that his dog was probably killed by a punch/kick to the face. May distress certain viewers.