Saturday Night Live (1975– )
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 20 items
Sex & Nudity
- Many sketches have sexual innuendoes, and some are entirely based on it.
- Sometimes female hosts and musical guests will wear revealing outfits (i.e. low-cut tops) during monologues or musical performances. There are also some sketches that involve the cast doing this.
- Occasionally, for comedic effect, men will be seen in their underwear.
- Occasionally, there are sketches about prostitutes, strippers, or porn stars.
- Some sketches involve either blurred out or cleverly concealed nudity.
- Kissing occurs fairly frequently. It can be anything from very light to bordering on sexual acts - it depends on the sketch.
- Some sketches involve risqué dance moves, usually performed by women.
- Many lines have double-meanings, especially in the "NPR's Delicious Dish" sketches.
- Whenever there's a major political sex scandal, the next cold open and "Weekend Update" usually acknowledge and make fun of it.
Violence & Gore
- On rare occasions, the Weekend Update anchors might make serious comments about real recent violent crimes (such as shootings).
- When there is any, it's usually comical and exaggerated.
- This area is usually not as concerning as the others.
- Most sketches have at least one or two words, usually not going above the level of a**.
- A few sketches involve people narrowly avoiding saying certain curse words, such as "1-800-EAT-S***" or "D*** in a Box."
- Sometimes anatomical terms are used.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- People often drink at parties or with meals.
- Some references to illegal drugs, usually in a positive manner.
- Some showing of or jokes about cigarettes/cigars, usually in a positive manner.
- Some characters might appear drunk or high.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Usually nothing.