The filmmakers auditioned more than 300 women for the role and began their search in earnest earlier this summer. Layne, who auditioned in recent weeks, immediately won over Jenkins, who was blown away by her reading.
“We saw hundreds of young women and while many were artists with gifts we admired, Kiki Layne’s ability to showcase a rich interior life ultimately won the day,” Jenkins said of the casting. “I absolutely adore working with her and cannot wait to have her join us in translating Baldwin’s vision of this heroine to the screen.”
Annapurna Pictures is financing and distributing the love story, with Jenkins writing and directing. Production is expected to start in October.
- Justin Kroll
Similar News ItemsFocus Features [us]
- ‘Victoria and Abdul’ Leads Indie Box Office as Awards Season Kicks Off (From The Wrap. 24 September 2017, 1:27 PM, PDT)
- Kingsman 2 Beats It at the Box Office with $39M (From MovieWeb. 24 September 2017, 11:19 AM, PDT)
- ‘Victoria And Abdul’ Reigns With Top PTA; ‘Stronger’ & ‘Battle Of The Sexes’ Solid – Specialty Box Office (From Deadline. 24 September 2017, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Rumoured plot details for 20th Century Fox’s Gambit movie (From Flickeringmyth. 24 September 2017, 1:29 PM, PDT)
- 'The Big Short's' Charles Randolph and Rupert Wyatt Team for Sci-Fi Thriller Series (Exclusive) (From hollywoodreporter_tv. 14 September 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- 'The Big Short's' Charles Randolph and Rupert Wyatt Team for Sci-Fi Thriller Series (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 14 September 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Barry Jenkins Talks ‘Moonlight’ & Filmmaker Therapy With ‘Beach Rats’ Director Eliza Hittman (From The Playlist. 21 September 2017, 2:08 PM, PDT)
- Barry Jenkins On His James Baldwin Adaptation and Life After ‘Moonlight’ (From Indiewire. 19 September 2017, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- Are You Ready for the Most Exciting Oscar Race in Years? (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2017, 8:25 AM, PDT)