“American Assassin,” directed by Michael Cuesta, aims to be the first in a new action franchise inspired by author Vince Flynn’s best-selling pulp about hot-headed, CIA-adjacent brute Mitch Rapp, the kind of terrorist-killing tough guy whose bleeds koans like, “If you’re not busy living, you’re dying.” The 16-installment book series is a smart choice to adapt. It’s “Jack Reacher” meets “Lone Survivor,” and so apolitical that both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush were fans.
Rapp sneers at everyone: bureaucrats, all religions, the French. This launchpad has big ambitions and a whirlwind script where bullets zing in Malta, Ibiza, Istanbul, Tripoli, Romania, Roanoke and Rome. Yet “American Assassin” is so close-mouthed and macho that it blends in with Bourne, Bond and “Taken’s” Brian Mills. Rapp can blast his way through Turkey — but this sullen, swollen hero can’t elbow those box office heavyweights to make room.
- Amy Nicholson
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Box Office Roundup: ‘Kingsman’ Takes the Crown (From Age of the Nerd. 24 September 2017, 11:11 AM, PDT)
- 'Kingsman 2' Finishes #1 as September Grosses Near Record High (From BoxOfficeMojo.com. 24 September 2017, 9:37 AM, PDT)
- How weird does a celebrity have to be before we stop watching their films? (From The Guardian - Film News. 23 September 2017, 12:59 AM, PDT)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming becomes the highest-grossing superhero movie of the year (From Flickeringmyth. 24 September 2017, 10:05 AM, PDT)
- Spider-man: Homecoming Blu-ray Featurette Details Michael Keaton's Vulture Casting Process (From ComicBookMovie. 22 September 2017, 2:11 PM, PDT)
- Sanaa Lathan Says It's 'So Cool' She Was Cast in a Role That Was Written As a White Character (From PEOPLE.com. 22 September 2017, 11:07 AM, PDT)
Bill Clinton (I)
- ‘Housewives Playbook!’ All the Times Andy Cohen Compared President Donald Trump to a Real Housewife (From PEOPLE.com. 23 September 2017, 10:50 AM, PDT)
- Showtime developing TV series from Bill Clinton and James Patterson’s novel The President is Missing (From Flickeringmyth. 22 September 2017, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Trump Blames Clinton for North Korea: ‘Rocket Man Should’ve Been Handled a Long Time Ago’ (From The Wrap. 22 September 2017, 5:43 PM, PDT)